Kaushik Krishnan

Sales and Marketing, Birding , Nature , Photography , etc

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The tradition of Serving food in the Brahmin community

Last Sunday our family had visited a health restaurant in the city. It is one of the very popular, by the name Sanjeevanam.Nice restaurant and good food.

They serve a couple of soups first after eating them from left to right - This is supposed to heighten the effectiveness of the taste buds. Then you are served uncooked food after which comes semi cooked food and then finally cooked food. During the meal you are not served any water and at the end some Honey and to top it all a vegetable salad beeda.I was actually uncomfortable at all the rigor that was put into the order of eating the food. I was a little uncomfortable at the end of the meal physically too, but after 10 mins I could feel that the whole body was now relaxed and fresh.

All the rigour that is put into eating the meal has some medical significance as you eat the food first that is digested first inside your stomach... So on and so forth and it is healthy.

After a couple of days my mother started serving food in the same order. I felt a lot more comfortable. I now think is there a significance in the order that was always emphasized in my community that the vegetables should be served first and then the rice, sambar,rasam,etc. TO this day in all marriages the food is served in an order.

I certainly feel that there seems to be some significance in what our elders have been saying for years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home